Re: abrasive media

To: Dave Williams <dave.williams@chaos.lrk.ar.us>
Subject: Re: abrasive media
From: Douglas Shook <dshook@usc.edu>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 15:43:03 -0400
Dave Williams wrote:

>  I abrasive blast parts prior to applying Tech Line's do-it-yourself
> thermal barrier and moly coatings.  Tech Line recommended one of the
> little airbrush style blasters and 220 to 280 grit silicon carbide
> media.  I found the blaster and media for sale in JC Whitney.
>
>  The problem I'm having is that I lose a lot of the abrasive while
> working.  Some sticks to the parts, some escapes from the cabinet, etc.
> Whitney wants $6 for a small bottle of abrasive - about a good-sized
> coffee cup of the stuff.  So I've been looking for a cheaper source.
>
>  Tech Line said to check an industrial supply house.  Grainger carries
> glass beads in various sizes.  Tech Line says not to use the beads.
> Grainger has "ground glass", but it's very coarse.  They don't list
> anything even approximately close to 220 grit silicon carbide.
>
>  Eastwood has walnut shells, glass beads, silicon carbide, and aluminum
> oxide listed, but they only carry 60 grit.  Slightly too coarse.
>
>  Anyone have a good source for this kind of stuff?

Dave,

I have a TIP pressure blaster that I use mostly for rust removal and
cleaning the stone work around my house (Arizona Flagstone and LA
smog--sheesh!).  So I guess it is pretty crude compared to what you are
doing, but I have never heard of blasting with that fine of an abrasive.

Typically it runs from 20 grit up to 80 grit.  I looked in the TIP
catalogue, and the finest silicon carbide they list is 80 grit, list
price at $24.50 for 15 lbs. ($22.50 for two pounds, and they say to call
or write for discounts on 200 lb and up quantities 800-321-9260). This
is a very expensive abrasive.

You can get 50 pounds of Skat Magic or US Fast Cut for the same price.
Again, I generally am a rust removal type of blaster, but if I am
working on my precious BSA aluminum pieces, I will use glass or walnut,
either of which you can get 50 pounds of 80 grit for about $30.  I have
read that the silicon carbide stays sharper and lasts longer than other
abrasives, and I know it is used for glass etching, but it still seems
very expensive, and I have not seen any listing for it in grit finer
than 80.  80 grit is rather fine, and I have difficulty imagining
blasting with 280 grit.

As I said, I don't know much about blasting, but would be interested in
what you find out regarding this abrasive.

thank you,

shook
B50SS advocate