RE: Re: Automotive cooling

To: "'JackiHarry@aol.com'" <JackiHarry@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Automotive cooling
From: Bob Hutton <BobHutton@fox.vut.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 09:07:47 +-1000
Jacki Harry said:

>I also have a problem w/ a thermostat in the bottom of the =
radiator-unless
>there is a small hole in the thermostat to let water flow through =
it(from the
>engine), it will never open(the water by the thermostat will stay =
cold). (or
>unless there is some method of circulating water past it and back to =
the
>engine; this might work)

>I would be interested in anybody's data on how this does work.

>Take care, Scott M Ryan

The business end, (the 'waxstat') of the thermostat is on the engine =
side of the fitting. The hot water bypass from the top hose impinges =
directly on to it to cause it to open as required. It will then close =
very quickly, letting in only a small amount of cold water from the =
radiator. This obviously repeats continually as required by the engine. =
The bypass water goes past the waxstat then directly back to the suction =
side of the pump.=20