Re: Re: Automotive cooling

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Re: Automotive cooling
From: JackiHarry@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 11:42:40 -0400 (EDT)
>  The fuel air only touches the very top of the pistons
>and the top chunk of the the cylinder. As well, it doesn't
>do so until after it has passed through the head, so
>it's "coolness" is not all so powerful.

>  As well, heat transfer between the block and the gas isn't
>very high until the gas is compressed, which is when
>it is touching even less of the block, until it's essentially
>only touching the piston.

Also, you have to remember that the fuel/air mixture goes up in temperature
as it's being compressed: that's how deisel engines operate.  So the air/fuel
mixture is very hot by the time it's compressed-it probably adds more heat to
the engine than it absorbs on it's way in.

I also have a problem w/ a thermostat in the bottom of the radiator-unless
there is a small hole in the thermostat to let water flow through it(from the
engine), it will never open(the water by the thermostat will stay cold). (or
unless there is some method of circulating water past it and back to the
engine; this might work)

I would be interested in anybody's data on how this does work.

Take care, Scott M Ryan