Re: Fuel system cleaning

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Fuel system cleaning
From: JackiHarry@aol.com
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 09:29:35 -0400 (EDT)
>      1.  Does anyone have any tricks for clearing old fuel deposits out of
>tanks, lines, and/or carbs without having to remove them - some type
>          solvent or detergent based tank wash, for example?

>      2.  What can be done with the carbs (SUs) short of a total rebuild?

for #1-I would recommand putting a larger and better fuel filter in line
(before the fuel pump, if it's outside the tank), and just run it for a
while-I had gotten a car from a junkyard (a camaro), and it plugged up a fuel
filter in about 200 miles  (enough so I could not even blow through it; and
another one in the next several thousand miles), and then replace this fuel
filter several times as it gets full of gunk.

for #2-I have never had real SU's apart, but if they are anything like the
japanese copies my prelude has, I would make sure the pistons move freely
(the copy carbs don't have the oil around the pistons, so I don't know how
the oil stays away from the air path-might be seals of some kind)-the rest of
the carb seems like it needs little maintenance, if the gaskets are sealed
and it doesn't leak.

Good luck!  Scott M Ryan