Re: Fuel System Cleaning

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Fuel System Cleaning
From: Stuart MacMillan <stuart@cobaltgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 11:41:14 -0700
I had the same situation once and I just started 'er up and ran up to
the gas station for some fresh gas. It took until the third tankful to
get a smooth running machine ("three tankfulls is all we ask"), but then
it was fine (the easy igniting volatile components will have evaporated
and it will miss until the gas is replaced).  Always try the easiest
thing first!

Modern gas has high detergent capability which keeps fuel injectors
clean and minimizes varnish formation, and is probably all you will need
to clean things up unless water has gotten into the tank.  In that case,
don't try to start it, just get a new tank.  It is best to drain the
tank and put in a gallon of fresh gas before starting, but this is a
dangerous procedure.  Do it outside with a fire extinquisher nearby.

Disclamer:  All bets are off if you had any ethanol in your gas.  This
will absorb moisture and cause problems in 6 years. Ethanol is a fairly
recent addition to gas in the winter in high pollution cites (oxygenated
fuel), so hopefully it's not in your tank.

Good luck.

Stuart MacMillan, Sales Consultant
The Cobalt Group, Inc.
Automotive Services Division
800-909-8244, ext. 208
206-269-6360 Fax

The Cobalt Group helps thousands of America's leading car dealers profit
from the Internet by providing high performance, cost effective Web
sites along with comprehensive Internet marketing consulting, and is
endorsed by Lexus, Acura, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Nissan, and Honda
Motorcycles as the premier Internet solution provider for their dealers.