Re: Emergency kit

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net, s-beckman@ti.com
Subject: Re: Emergency kit
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 97 08:30:31 CDT
>From: Scott Beckman <s-beckman@ti.com>

>I'm putting together an emergency repair kit for my car.  My intent is to be
>able to repair some common breakdowns on the highway.

[snip to save bandwidth... adding a few comments below]

>Emergency fan belt
Buy a new one... toss the old one into the trunk (you know
it will fit when you are in the middle of West Texas!)

>Emergency radiator hose repair (looks like duct tape on steriods)
 duct tape will do

>Gallon of water
 make it DRINKING water.  Filled up an old milk jug once... bad
 mistake! ;-(  If you are driving off road in Mojave... make sure
 someone knows to look for you if you do not check back in, and take
 a gallon per person.  P.S. "cow patties" will burn. It gets cold
 out there!

lighter! (see above)

>Electrical tape and spare fuses
>Duct tape and bailing wire
>Large blanket (keeps my clothes clean)

 Army surplus wool... keeps you warm when wet!

>GoJO and a few rags (to get my hands clean)
>Jumper cables
>Assortment of tools including but not limited to the following:
> Wire cutters
> Pliers
> Adjustable wrench
>Leather gloves
>

>If I suffer a major problem, I have a cell phone so I can call for a tow truck.
>Can anyone else think of something that might come in handy?

Vehicle specific items would include (for me):

float for the carbs (SU - The pick the oddest time to sink!)

Metal brake line (old calipers have a metal cross line... I have
seen rocks get in there, bend the line, which rubs against the
wheel... and uhoh... no brakes!

Small universal 12V electric pump (for older carb vehicles)

Under the spare tire:
 6' of 1/4" fuel line. extra hose clamps.
 fan belts
 length of 1/2" heater hose

Extra brake fluid

engine oil

Number one item: GOOD MAINTANCE! When ever I think of putting
off repacking wheel bearings, I think of being 100 miles between
gas stations along I-10 (West Texas is rather open area... no cell
phone coverage, either hence a CB radio in the trunk).

Have a good road trip!

Cheers,

Tom Walter   - datsun roadster nut -
Austin, TX