Re: air compressors

To: Matt Liggett <mliggett@bluemarble.net>
Subject: Re: air compressors
From: Arthur Pfenninger <ch155@freenet.buffalo.edu>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 12:21:25 -0400 (EDT)
Matt I had the same question last year and ended up with a Sears 5 hp
oilless compressor. The reason I chose the Sears was that it had the
higest cfm and the higest storage tank in it's price range. I checked
with a repair shop on the pros and cons of the oilless vs the standard
compressor. There doesn't seem to be a down side. In fact the oilless
ones are cheaper to repair. The cfm is less compared to a regular 5 hp
but I think you should find it will meet your needs. The biggest user of
air is the spray gun. I used a HVLP gun from Harbor Freight that called
for 12 cfm @ 70 lbs. It worked perfect. By the way I have bought all my
air tools from them and I have yet to be disappointed. As far as the
question of 220 volts goes, the 5 hp can use either 110 or 220. I had a
chance to get a 220 6 hp one at the same price from Sears but turned it
down. 220 limits where you can use the compressor. For example I used
mine in the house to sand dry wall as well as sand blast some brick. If I
had had had a 220 model I would have had to have either a very long 220
extension cord or a very long hose. It is easy to get carried away when
buying tools but the most expensive biggest tool isn't always the best
choice.Unless of course you plan to use it day in and day out.
...Art