Enco lathes

To: "'shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net'" <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Enco lathes
From: Keith Kaplan <keithka@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 17:58:34 -0800
I'm thinking about buying my first metal lathe sometime soon, so I went
to my local (Seattle area) Enco and looked around.  They didn't have
anything on display that was in my price range (pref. close to $1000)
except for a $500 model that seems too small for me.  My first planned
application is making some suspension bushings, but I'd like something
big enough for any future projects, too.

However, I see in their catalog that there's a reasonable sized unit for
$1100 or so.  I'm getting tempted.

What do I need to look for / look out for when buying a lathe?  I
remember someone mentioning that some of the cheaper lathes use a
non-acme thread on the lead screw.  Since I didn't get to see this model
in person yet, I don't know about that.

As I see it, lathe prices are based on:
where it's made -- I'm not very picky.

size / capacity -- I think 12 x 30 or so should be big enough for me; my
garage only has
                   so much room anyway.

number of speeds -- how many speeds would you recommend?  I've used
lathes with dozens of
                    speeds, but I found myself using only a few.  I'd
use the same speed
                    for a small steel part as on a medium-sized aluminum
part, and was
                    satisfied with the results.  Will I really be
disappointed with a 6
                    speed?

speed control -- It seems like getting a geared head rather than having
to move belts around
                 really adds to the cost.  Is that a big convenience?
I've lived with a belt
                 drive drill press for 4 years, and I don't mind it at
all.  Heck, if I had a
                 lathe, I could make my own pulleys and have infinite
speed adjustment. <g>

threading -- I won't cut threads very often, and they all seem to
support the range of
             threads I ever plan to cut.

motor size -- How much power do I really need?  I can just take smaller
cuts.

What else am I leaving out?  I'm also interested in any general comments
good or bad about Enco.  Is there anywhere else around Seattle where I
should shop for a new/used lathe?

keithka@microsoft.com
Bothell, WA
Elva 300 FJr.