Re[2]: Enco lathes

To: keithka@microsoft.com, Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Subject: Re[2]: Enco lathes
From: "Dunst, Mordecai" <mdunst@smtplink.coh.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 97 16:14:44 pst
     Regarding the Southbend.

I have a 1940's vintage 9" belt drive.  The value depends upon the
     buyer.  My Southbend is worth about $800.00.

     In terms of  wear -the working parts are important.  Look at the cross
     table and movement. Feel for play and backlash on the lead screws.
     The brass lead screw nut's wear out.  They can be replaced.  A good
     machinery repair guy can do it for you easily.  Sometimes they
     won't spend there time on older equipment because most owners of
     older machines don't care to pay $40-60/hr to have it repaired.
     I consider it money well spent.  The darn machine is 50+ years old
     and works well for me and will probably work for my kids...