Re Amputation saw

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re Amputation saw
From: "Keith Conover, M.D." <kconover@pitt.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 22:22:07 +0000
On 10 Feb 97 at 19:37, Thomas Wannenburg wrote:

> I am not sure if this would work on very thick long bones, but have
> you considered a bone - nibbler, such as commonly used to perform a
> craniectomy?  Admittedly the skull is not so dense (usually) as a
> femur but the bone - nibblers come in different sizes and a large
> one (double hinged) might work.  Only hand power needed and if you
> wear it out - get a new one for next time.  It would be worth
> testing on an ox bone.

Interesting idea.  But one problem I can see is getting it to hold
onto a round, bloody bone -- craniectomies are generally _very_ neat
operations (neurosurgeons are just that way about their work, unlike
emergency physicians or obstetricians; to an obstetrician it's not
enough blood to worry about if it's not over the tops of your shoes).
 And skulls are nice flat bones.  But maybe you've seen a nibbler
that is different from the one's I've seen.

> Also - do you think a pipe - cutter would be too bulky?

Don't think it would be too bulky, but the ones I've seen have to
rotate entirely around the pipe -- I doubt there'd every be enough
room for that.  Or do you know another type?

Thanks.
--Keith Conover, M.D., FACEP
  http://www.pitt.edu/~kconover