Re: Hydrofluoric Acid

To: ShopTalk <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Hydrofluoric Acid
From: "Keith Conover, M.D." <kconover@pitt.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 22:22:07 +0000
On 10 Feb 97 at 14:15, Jack L. Poller wrote:

> John Fisher wrote:
> > I am the director of a Poison Control Center which receives many
> > calls
>
> >I heartily endorse the wear
> > gloves, and IMMEDIATELY wash skin if splashed (plain water is
> > fine) approach.

I would also suggest, if it's available, applying a
magnesium-containing antacid such as Maalox, AFTER flushing with
copious amounts of water (and scrubbing under the nails0.  In our ED
we pour a glove full of Maalox and put it over the affected hand.

--Keith Conover, M.D., FACEP (http://www.pitt.edu/~kconover)
  Information Systems Coordinator, Department of
   Emergency Medicine, Mercy Hospital, Pittsburgh
  Clinical Asst. Professor, Dept. of Emergency Medicine,
   University of Pittsburgh