Re: Hydrofluoric Acid

To: <poller@chromatic.com>
Subject: Re: Hydrofluoric Acid
From: John Fisher <jfisher@alabama.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 97 19:31:50 -0600
Re: Gloves with HF. I don't know that one particular type of glove is
superior. Almost any liquid-tight glove should work. Most industrial
toxicology books recommend "heavier" gloves and specify natural rubber,
neoprene, nitrile, or PVC because "they are less likely to puncture and
are more impervious to HF penetration."

It's important to inspect gloves frequently for leaks. Some of the more
serious industrial exposures occur because workers' gloves have developed
leak(s), and HF is relatively painless at the time of exposure.

I use playtex (for washing dishes) gloves.