(Fwd) Re: Amputation Saw + Eye Drill (ooh, yechh)

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: (Fwd) Re: Amputation Saw + Eye Drill (ooh, yechh)
From: "Keith Conover, M.D." <kconover@pitt.edu>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 18:31:25 +0000
On  8 Feb 97 at 18:17, Ed Sanders wrote:

> How about dental drills? They would have good bearings so the chuck
> and drill would be very stable.

Dental drills are fine -- but I need something that isn't fixed, I
want something I can keep in a pocket or in my black bag and pull out
when I need it, only about once every 6 months or so.

> Also, for bone cutting I've seen a metal cutter that works using a
> gunpowder cartridge for power. It's sort of a hooked shape so the V
> shaped backing part goes behind the part to be cut and the "arrow"
> shaped part comes at it from the operator side. You pull the
> trigger, voila! Whatever you're cutting is chopped instantly. Have
> seen it advertised in some industrial magazines. Are you familiar
> with Thomas Register? Any good library should have a set of them.
> Look in the reference section for a set of tall light green books
> covering about 4 feet of shelf space. You could looke under metal
> cutting stuff, saws, etc.

Not sure I'd want to use something that I have so little control over.
 What if it shatters the bone proximal (going toward the torso) and
causes damage about the tourniquet?

Thanks for the reply.

--Keith Conover, M.D., FACEP
  http://www.pitt.edu/~kconover