Extra tank for compressor

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Extra tank for compressor
From: Joe Flake <flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 08:00:48 -0500 (EST)
OK,
I finally did it.  I bought (with Santa's blessings) a small
compressor as a Christmas present for myself.  It's in
violation of all the recommendations posted here about size
of compressor, but it fit Santa's budget.

It's a small 1 HP unit mounted on a 2.5 gal "hotdog" type of
tank.  It claims 2.7 cfm at 90 psi.  It definately meets the
"portable" description!  It was only $129 (at Sams).

I know, that's too small to do "real" work, but it fits nicely
with my need for air to do car/bike tires, a blow nozzle, a
brad nailer (for the woodworking side of the shop), and perhaps
occasional use of a small impact wrench.  I'll continue to
dream about the big multi-horse, 2-stage, upright tank units...

I've read the comments here about adding an additional tank
to help ride through short demands for high volume and would
like to try that with my unit.  I have one of the portable
tanks (which with gas station air has served as my
"compressor" for many years) which would be a nice addition.
Trouble is, I can't quite figure the best way to hook them together.

I want to use quick connects so the tank can be quickly grabbed
to take for portable needs.  On the other hand, I don't like the
idea of a hose with the male (non sealing) end of a quick connect
fitting on both ends.  Either an accidental release or a deliberate
disconnect results in an "open" air hose -- not pretty.

My best compromise thought thus far is to use a short (about 2 ft
or even less) hose to connect the tanks, and to put one of the small
inline cutoffs on that hose.  For an accidental disconnect, the whipping
of such a short hose would be minimal, and when a deliberate disconnect
is desired, the cutoff could be activated first.

The extra fitting on the compressor would be added between the
pressure switch and the regulator using a tee fitting.

What do you think?  Here's an ascii-art of what I have in mind:
(always did want an excuse to post one of these things!)

  [compressor]----+

                  +--[pressure_switch]

                  +-{{ <<====//=====>> }}-[portable_tank]
                  |      (short hose)