Re: Garage Floor Painting Questions

To: poller@chromatic.com
Subject: Re: Garage Floor Painting Questions
From: jibrooks@JUNO.COM (Jack I Brooks)
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 22:41:24 EST
JLP,

The only portion of your question I feel qualified to answer is the
etching, #2.  The etching is done to clean as well as open up the pores
in the concrete.  New "clean" concrete needs either etching or mechanical
preparation.  You could a concrete grinder.  It looks like the floor
waxers the maintenance people use to wax industrial floors, except it is
fitted with abrasive or diamond stones.  Diamond stones cut better,
especially on fairly smooth concrete.  The rental cost will probably be
less than the etching materials.  After mechanical prep, vacuum with a
shop vac well, to guarantee the best paint adhesion.

Alternatively, just for grins, the best way to mechanically prep concrete
is a portable concrete bead blaster.  They are very expensive to rent,
but Tim Allen would be so proud.

Jack Brooks
Hillsdale, New Jersey
1960 TR3-A TS69032L