RE: Air compressors yet again.

To: "'Brian Kelley'" <bkelley@ford.com>, "'drew@pixar.com'" <drew@pixar.com>
Subject: RE: Air compressors yet again.
From: Keith Kaplan <keithka@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 10:38:59 -0800
I'll ring in...  Nothing that runs on 220 is portable, IMHO, because
there seems to be very little standardization on 220 outlet
configurations.  Wherever you take your compressor, you probably won't
find a compatible outlet.  Plus, a 6.5hp motor (even if that's a
'generous' rating) is going to be so heavy you'll take your compressor
on the road maybe once a year.  A big tank would be great the other 364
days of the year.  One member of this list once explained the virtue of
having NONportable tools, if you have kids/neighbors who will want to
borrow them.

I have a 'portable' compressor that I've moved twice in the 5 years I've
owned it -- both times because I was moving to a different house.  I
might as well have bought 'portable' furniture.  Every other day of
those 5 years, I've wished I'd bought a compressor with a bigger tank,
so I wouldn't have to hear the dang thing running all the time.

My advice -- buy a compressor with a tank so big Tim Allen would be
impressed, and plumb your shop with air lines to all the corners.
Please, let's not start the PVC vs black iron debate again, but I use my
air tools much more often now that my shop is plumbed.

That's my $0.02.
keithka

>I guess I should have mentioned that the compressor requires 220 volts.
>Sorry,

<<snip>>