Re: Pozi-drive and the Snap-On Man

To: stecz@pswtech.com
Subject: Re: Pozi-drive and the Snap-On Man
From: dfdarby@JUNO.COM (David F. Darby)
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 22:39:22 PST
On Wed,  6 Nov 96 13:43:35     stecz@pswtech.com writes:
>Ok, I give up, what does a "pozidrive" screw look like?
>
>--- On Wed, 6 Nov 1996 10:10:31 -0600 (CST)  Phil Ethier
><ethier@freenet.msp.mn.us> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 6 Nov 1996, David F. Darby wrote:
>>
>>The high quality of SNAP-ON tools is unimpeachable; a joy to the eye
and hand. >>However, decent quality Posi-Drive screwdrivers are
available from tool supply >>houses nationally for about $5.00 a piece.
McMaster-Carr Supply of Chicago and >>Grainger are two houses that come
to mind.

>>Find out where the cross-country ski shops get theirs.  I think the
euro bindings >>all come with pozidrive screws.  A ski shop was the
first place I ever heard of >>pozidrive, about 20 years ago.

>>Phil
>>
>-----------------End of Original Message-----------------

Hello:

The Posi-Drive screw heads resemble a phillips, or as our friends in
England would say, "cross head" screw. A second set of very small blades
are added to the drive and each vane bisects the area between the main
blades. Ever wonder how you buggered up those small upholstery fasteners
in your LBC with your trusty No. 1 phillips driver? Look closely, they're
Posi-Drive.

Below follows a listing of drive types currently available in the U.S.  I
have probably missed a few, but I don't think there is any redundancy on
the list.. Many of these names were probably proprietary at one time.
Who knows why they were all developed? Several of them are for tamper
-proof applications such as the panel fasteners you see in public rest
rooms that appear to be ground off. There is actually an extractor drive
for those things. You need one screwdriver to install them and another
totally different one to extract them. At your next visit to a museum
check the exhibit case work for those sexy looking "snake-eye" spanner
screws. Speaking of sex, there is a fastener called a sex screw that is
used in some low volume binding operations, but I digress.

Penta-Drive
Clutch Head (AKA "Butterfly" and Type G)
Drilled Spanner
Notched Spanner
One-Way Screw
Tri-Groove
Torq-Set
Tri-Wing
Square Recess
Phillips Pin-Head
Conduit Screwdriver
JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard)
Anti-Cam-Out
Hex
Torx
Torx Plus
Pin-Torx
Posi-Drive
Frearson
Socket
Allen
Cabinet Tip
Countr-Bor
Pin-Socket
Spline
Hole-in-Spline
Pin-in-Hole
Socket-Pin-Head
Es-Form
Flange 12-Point
and, oh yes,
Slotted
Phillips

Someone figure out how to make a "round" drive, because that's about the
only configuration missing.

David F. Darby
Ozark Highlands, Missouri