Re: welding gas tank

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Subject: Re: welding gas tank
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 10:21:31 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, John T. Blair wrote:

> Kevin,
>
>   Where did you get you Auto Darkening shade for you helmet?  I've
> called around here and the start at about $180.  I'd sure like to
> get on though.
>
>   One other note.  I'm near seighted and now wear bifocals.  My
> glasses are also photo-gray.  Don't know what the real reason is,
> but when I try to weld, it is very difficult for me to see what
> I'm welding.  A couple of weeks ago I got mad at something I was
> trying to weld as I kept missing it.  Had a couple of nice beads
> going no place.  So after several failed attempts, I took off my
> glasses.  It made a big difference, I could actually see better
> through the face mask without the glasses!

I also wear bifocals, and I've observed this.  I think when you start out
in the dark, and there is sudden light, your first subconscious decision
is which part of your glasses to look through, then you have to focus.
That takes a second or so, during which time your weld isn't controlled.
I also take off my glasses to weld; I think it helps a lot.

I suspect an autodarkening glass would do a lot to solve the problem,
because you could be focussed on the weld and looking through the proper
lense of your glasses before starting.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910