Re: Shop Presses

To: "B A Lyn Fatt" <battmain@JUNO.COM>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Shop Presses
From: "Michael Sloane" <msloane@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 07:18:31 -0500
I have had one of the Harbor Freight 20-ton presses  for several years and
am very satisfied with it. While it is sometimes a little awkward to raise
and lower the table, everything else works very well. I especially like the
ability to remove the hydraulic jack and use it separately (I recently had
to change a tire on my Cat 112 road reader - long story for another day),
and it came in handy. Unless you are into some very serious heavy equipment
work, I think that 20 tons is sufficient. I have never come close to the
limits on my press, and I use it for all kinds of work with my tractors and
other machinery.

Mike Sloane (msloane@worldnet.att.net

----------
> From: B A Lyn Fatt <battmain@JUNO.COM>
> To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
> Subject: Shop Presses
> Date: Monday, October 28, 1996 9:55 PM

I'm looking for a press to use in my home workshop. I normally use a
press at
a friends shop, but it is a bit inconvenient.  Browsing through the
Harbor Freight
catalog, I see a whole bunch of different rated presses. Anyone willing
to share
their experience?

Do I need a 45 ton unit?  Or can I get by with a 20 ton unit?
<snip>