Re: Polishing Alumunium

To: TATERRY@aol.com
Subject: Re: Polishing Alumunium
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 96 12:11:36 MST

>I'm busy trying to polish up the alumunium trim on the Arnolt MG I am
>restoring.  I'm an amateur at this and I'm using a 6" wheel with white
>compound.  The trim comes up pretty good but I cannot seem to get it as
>bright and clean as I think it should be.  Granted this stuff is now 43 years
>old, but shouldn't it clean all the way up?  When I get it as good as I can,
>you can still see some foggyness almost like a mirror that is going bad.
>  Any suggestions appreciated.  I have a 3" wheel and an 8'' wheel but the 6
>seems to do the best....other compounds??  I'm stumped.
>Tnx, Terry

Terry,
 You didn't hapen to mention whether your wheel was solid or cotton cloth.
 I am assuming it is stitched cotton cloth. If not, that is what you
should use. Try red rouge polishing stick.
 You won't get the parts to shine like new because the chrome used was
not "black" chrome as we are accustomed to. It is also possible that whet
you have is not chrome but rather nickle plate, which won't shine as
bright as chrome.
 I have had the best luck using red rouge and the polishing by hand with
Brasso chrome polish or some other brand of high quality chrome polish
and a soft towel.
Make it shine.
Best Regards,
Tony R.