Re: Polishing Alumunium

To: TATERRY@aol.com
Subject: Re: Polishing Alumunium
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 10:52:37 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 24 Mar 1996 TATERRY@aol.com wrote:

> I'm busy trying to polish up the alumunium trim on the Arnolt MG I am
> restoring.  I'm an amateur at this and I'm using a 6" wheel with white
> compound.  The trim comes up pretty good but I cannot seem to get it as
> bright and clean as I think it should be.  Granted this stuff is now 43 years
> old, but shouldn't it clean all the way up?  When I get it as good as I can,
> you can still see some foggyness almost like a mirror that is going bad.
>   Any suggestions appreciated.  I have a 3" wheel and an 8'' wheel but the 6
> seems to do the best....other compounds??  I'm stumped.
> Tnx, Terry

I polished the cockpit surround on Kermit the frogeye.  I used three
grades of polishing compound, and it came out very bright. I suggest
getting an Eastwood catalogue; they have a lot of aluminum polishing stuff
and info.  Since you are working with stuff that would be hell for tough
to replace, be extremely careful.  If the wheel grabs an edge, it will
throw irreplaceable aluminum stuff across the shop.

Ray

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910