re:Polishing Alumunium

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: re:Polishing Alumunium
From: "john (j.r.) soucie" <soucie@bnr.ca>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 12:18:00 -0500
 You can't really polish aluminum or metal with just one type of
wheel or one type of compound. It's just like sandpaper....start with
80 grit and work your way up to 400 grit. With aluminum you have to
finish off with a buff called a "flannel buff" which is floppier than
a regular "sewn buff". The flannel isn't sewn right to the edge.
Also you need a kit of different compounds. Unfortunatly I can't
remember the name of the one you should probably be using next but it
may be called "tippoli" or something like that. You need to get a new
buff and apply some finer compound (never mix buffs and compounds).
You could also finish with "jewellers rouge" which is a fine compound
although it would be better if you found out exactly what compound
is suggested for finishing aluminum. I have a book that tells you and I
could look it up if you need the info ASAP. Otherwise I would get
myself a book as well.

 You have to get the right supplies and instructions. I have a small
book I got off of a place called "Bright Works" by mail. It tells
you how to do all the different metals and they sell all the supplies.
They also have a video. Sorry I don't have their address/phone  handy.
 Also you can get the stuff from Eastwood, although I am not sure if
they have a book. Seems like about the same stuff as Bright Works.
Also the sandblasting supply house called "TIP" has all the same
supplies. Essentially it's about three different types of buffs and
four different types of compounds.

 I'll try and remember to hunt the book down tonight and give a little
synopsis tomorrow.

John Soucie
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada