RE: Parts Washer

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Parts Washer
From: ross@msbcs.ENET.dec.com
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 96 09:35:37 EST
Reading Keith Stewart's plans, I have the following comments:

.
> I haven't decided yet what caulking to use to seal the pump/pail holes ...
> suggestions?

I suggest NOT cutting holes in the pail, but suspending the pump from a
bracket on top of the pail and leading the pressure hose and electrical
wire up the suspension chain/bracket and over the edge.  My submersible
pump has a handle on the top that I loop a cord through.  Advantages
include:

1. No problems with sealing
2. Easy to change pails, which means that you could have pails with
   different solvents or grades of dirtiness
3. You could raise and lower the pump to keep it out of the grunge or lower
   it further into a diminishing supply
4. Easy to clean out the pail without encumbering connections or just
   use a new pail.

> The model I purchased is the same as that used in the auto parts store
> washers but the literature with the pump only indicates applications for
> water

Good question!  Would the solvent damage the seals or the electrical cable?
It might not exhibit a problem until several years of submersion, so it's
probably a good idea to plug it into a GFCI receptacle just like any time
you get electricity close to liquid.

Peter Ross