Re: Tappet adjustment tool

To: R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>
Subject: Re: Tappet adjustment tool
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 10:09:09 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 31 Jan 1996, R John Lye wrote:

> Its made by Gunson, I believe, the same folks who make the
> ColourTune and a bunch of other nifty tune up aids.  I think
> that I got this from one of the big Britcar vendors like
> TRF or Moss, but I really don't remember for sure since I've
> had it for quite a few years.  I hope that helps a bit.

The Gunson Clik-Adjust (sp?) is a neat toy... it works pretty well once
you get used to it.  I use about 10 clicks on one car and 15 clicks on
the other.  On the 15 click car I can get pretty close in the first shot,
but on the 10 clicker the resolution is not as fine as I'd like.  One
click off, or a slight twist while clicking in either direction, and you
can be off a couple thousandths.  You still need to check with a feeler
gauge.

The advantages:  Two tools instead of 3.  Easier to maintain the
adjustment as you're tightening.  Somewhat faster overall.

Disadvantages:  Potentially not as accurate as careful "manual"
adjustment.  Tool has 1/2 drive so 1/2 drive socket required in
addition.  Won't work on the fancy roller rockers with the allen key
adjusters.

It's not a simple matter of following the directions to calibrate for one
adjuster, then blindly apply it to the others.

John M. Trindle | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
Home Page:  http://www.widomaker.com/~trindle
"Murphy's Second Corollary:
   It is impossible to make anything foolproof
   because fools are so ingenious"