Electrical

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Electrical
From: Robert Shane <robs@islandnet.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 96 00:04 PST
Hi All :
        I've got a little behind on keeping up with reading
all my mail , but have cought up now.Just thought I'd make
a couple of short comments,one regarding useing a breaker as
a switch,and the second on 3 phase power.There is nothing
wrong with using a breaker as a isolateing switch (that is to
say,using it to disconnect power from a piece of equipment as
long as it is not under load or running)but will shorten the
life of the breaker if frequently tuned off under load.As already
suggested you would want to use a two pole switch ( if a motor,
a motor rated switch must be used).Keeping in mind to match up
your switch rateing with your equipment(motor)rating V & AMP.
I did like Roger's 3 phase power supply (have seen it done this
way)but would add a couple of things:
1-make sure you fuse your switches (size of fuse depnends on the
  size of load)
2-I might take the useable resulting 3phase to a small panel (3
  phase )or at least a fuse box
  But as he said " If your not sure what you are doing DON'T, have
it looked at by an electrician BEFORE YOU TURN ON THE POWER .
If anyone has any specific electrical questions I would be glad to
try and help but e-mail me directly .
RRS
e-mail address - rob@islandnet.com