(Fwd) Re: Electrical ducting

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: (Fwd) Re: Electrical ducting
From: "Mark Miller" <markm@tutsys.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 14:24:15 -0800
> Date:          Tue, 23 Jan 96 15:24:52 EST
> From:          drabik@solaris.mirc.gatech.edu (Timothy J. Drabik)
> To:            shop-talk@autox.team.net
> Subject:       Electrical ducting

> Dear shop-talkers,
>
> I am trying to decide how to do electrical distribution around my shop.
> The super-deluxe approach would be wiring ducting with removable covers,
> which allow for arbitrary placement and relocation of outlets.  This may
> be too expensive, and I'm also considering hard conduit interrupted with
> outlet boxes.  An important question is: at what height do I run the conduit
> around my (3-sided) shop area?  Up near the ceiling would guarantee that it
> not get in the way of anything, but would also make plugging things in
> awkward.  Right now I'm looking at a ceiling-level main conduit run, with
> tees dropping to boxes at normal level on the wall.
>
> Has anyone any observations derived from hindsight?
>
>       Tim
My two cents:
I receommend putting in a sub panel.  They are fairly inexpensive
(under $50 for a 100 amp 20 position box plus $3-6 per breaker).  With conduit
(3/4 or 1") run around your shop you can then easily add additional
power points (in case you ever get the urge to buy a new toy - oops, make
that tool) just by rewiring or pulling extra wire through the
conduit.  I'd run it at table height or higher; if you have wall
cabinets then just under them.  A few outlets placed near the ceiling
with cord reels would also be useful.
Make sure to label everything well.
Enjoy.