Re: Oilless air compressors

To: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oilless air compressors
From: "Paul A. Carson" <pcarson@primenet.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 18:22:44 -0700 (MST)
At 04:15 PM 1/17/96 -0500, W. R. Gibbons wrote:

>Lately, many of the compressors I've seen seem far smaller than the ones
>I grew up with, and I've seen these called "oilless design" or something
>like that.
>How are these different, better, or worse than the old style
>compressors?  They appear to be cheaper and smaller, which makes me
>wonder if they can possibly be as good.
>
>   Ray Gibbons

Ray, I bought a 3 1/2 hp, 25 gallon "oilless design" compressor from Sears
about three years ago.  I used it to sandblast the entire frame, suspension
and body of my TR-4A during its resto, as well as painting the car.  I
actually did not realize it was oilless until I had about 25 hours of use on
the thing and I tried to do some maintenance.  I'm still scratching my head
on whether this is a "good" thing or not, but it has held up so far.  The
only maintenance you can do is to clean the air filter and drain the tank
after every use.  That's my data point.

Paul A. Carson                          Program Manager/Test Navigator
P.O. Box 683,                           Big Safari
Crestline, CA 92325                     MC/NC/EC/C-130E/H Aircraft
(909)338-9873                           Lockheed-Martin Skunk Works, ASD
pcarson@primenet.com                    Ontario, CA 91761
http://www.primenet.com/~pcarson/       (909)395-2975