Re: New to List, need help.

To: Richard Welty <rwelty@emi.com>
Subject: Re: New to List, need help.
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 10:42:41 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 11 Jan 1996, Richard Welty wrote:

> At 07:05 AM 1/11/96 -0500, Dave Garron wrote:
>
> >I'd say start right out with a mig welder set up for solid wire & argon/CO2
> >mix.  Most will also handle flux core wire if you want to do some slightly
> >heavier duty (and messier) work.  I have a Miller 130, a 115V unit (which
>makes
> >it more portable), much higher quality than the consumer-grade units you find
> >at the large chainstores.  I love it!
>
> i've been asking around, trying to become an informed consumer about
> welders, and one of our best albany area welding shops recently went through
> and checked out every 115 volt Mig they could lay their hands on.  the only
> one that George (the owner) thought was worth anything was the commercial
> grade Miller... he liked that welder a lot, and bought one.
>
> cheers,
>   richard

I agree the Miller is good.  I looked at it and Lincoln, and bought a
Lincoln SP-100.  It has worked beautifully for about 5 years now; the only
drawback is it won't handle comfortably anything thicker than 1/8 inch.
The thing about Lincoln and Miller, at least where I live, is you can go
into a store and buy parts for them.  Probably still will be able to do
that 20 years from now, and I doubt you will be able to do that if you buy
something made in Italy and sold by mail.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910