Re: [oletrucks] Vortec Heads x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"

To: <bmdumkee@auroranet.nt.ca>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Vortec Heads x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
From: "glperry" <glperry@fwi.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 11:12:52 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)
I work at GM truck plant.  Vortec heads were used from about 87 on up whe=
they went to one-pc rear main seals too. The Vortec name on engine was/is
pushed more as advertising/labeling now than before. About 97 and 98 they
had new multiport fuel injection with throttle body before that. Now, sin=
ce
99, we have the totally new Gen III engines with aluminum heads, plastic
intake runners, crank higher in block with cross-bolting from sides, oil
pump on front behind the timing cover, No distributor, coil on each plug =
and
lots of other items. It is a more powerful engine, in smaller size than o=
ld
ones. The 98 is the older style engine, but had better injection system,
still plastic on half the manifold tho. Better mileage with more HP is th=
goal for new engines.  Now, in 04 or 05 gonna have an all aluminum engine=
,
block and all. Now using small one in big Trailblazers. And soon gonna ha=
ve=20
variable displacement" system that shuts off some cylinders at coil and
injectors to not run when cruising. Gonna be standard not an option. I'll
hold my judgement on that one till when I see them.  And next year we're
starting the Hybrid engine with electric motor in place that has torque
convertor usually. It will be 42 volt systems. Will have electric power
steering and AC motor so accs can run when engine is off at stop lights a=
nd
such. Also able to cruise with just motor till hills encountered? Oh Yeah=
, a
mechanics nightmare I bet!=0D
 Nuff said! =0D
=0D