Re: [oletrucks] 6 12 V Battery, best of both worlds

To: "Bruce Kettunen" <bekett@uslink.net>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 6 12 V Battery, best of both worlds
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 14:45:24 -0800
>Happened to be watching My Classic Car on TNN this afternoon and
>they had a short segment on 6 volt batteries.  They briefly mentioned
>that there are combination 6 / 12 volt batteries available that provide
>12 volts for cranking and 6 volts for everything else.

I had a couple of these, the kind that run 6v in parallel except for
starting.  I did not like them.  They did not last long, and were unreliable
even when they were "working".  They had tar tops that sweated acidic tar.
All the wires on the solenoid were a mess too.  I converted my truck to 12v
very happily.  On my 55 Thunderbird, I started using an 8v battery, and it
does just fine.

Regards,

Grant S