Re: [oletrucks] rust treatment

To: Oletrucks Board <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] rust treatment
From: B&A Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 22:17:47 -0600 (CST)
Caustic soda (sodium hydroxide) will cut paint and grease, but will leave
rust untouched.  Muratic acid (zinc chloride) will cut rust, but can also
etch clean metal.  Use it sparingly.  For my money, the caustic dip to
remove paint is probably OK if it's followed by a good rinse and you know
what you are doing.  I would go real easy on the switching back and forth,
though.  Certainly don't mix these chemicals together.

The phosphoric acid is the main chemical in many of the rust reformers and
passivators.  Clean or grind the paint and grease off, grind the worst of
the loose rust off, coat with a reformer like Por15 and that's about as
good as you can get.

Bruce Kettunen
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN