Re: [oletrucks] Tires

To: sculver@iwl.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Tires
From: EEHodges@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 20:53:08 EST
Factors influencing hydroplaning include:

Contact footprint shape - the 275's are wide but read on...

Speed - faster is more likely to hydroplane.

Inflation pressure - higher is better but stay in a reasonable range (<40
psi); changes shape and contact pressure

Tread depth - resistance to hydroplaning goes down quickly with wear.

Tread pattern - this gets complicated but more "see through" (open, straight,
longitudinal grooves) and more void space is generally better.

Some of these things are easier to do than others. If you have good tread
remaining, try a higher pressure, else - the other things are either new
tires or don't drive in the rain.

Good luck,

EEHodges@aol.com
Emory Hodges
48 Chevy 3/4 ton "Rack" (with narrow tires and never driven in the rain!)