Re: [Nobbc] MGA tire pressure

To: North Bay British Car Club <nobbc@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Nobbc] MGA tire pressure
From: Greg Tatarian <gtwincams@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 11:20:25 -0700
Adding some data here:

Our TR6 with the current stiff suspension and 205 size tires likes 26-28
lbs in the rear, 28-30 in front, however that's got independent rear,
front and rear swaybars, and performance shocks. This differs from
stock, which I believe was 20 front, 24 rear. Suspension changes have a
big effect on under and oversteer, as does tire pressures.

Our Elan likes 28 all around, again quite different from stock, due to
larger tires and stiffer suspension, and how I like to drive the car in
corners.

Gotta watch overinflation in the rear or that oversteer will become
excessive. Mellow driving? Lower pressures. Pushing it in corners?
Higher pressures keep the tire bead seated, good contact patch, less
sidewall distortion. New tires aren't anything like what these cars came
with, so experiment with pressures - you'll be amazed at how the car is
transformed.

Ron gets good performance from his car, so all things being equal, his
recommendations are a good place to start (maybe finish).

Cheers,
Greg Tatarian