newsletters

Re: DTSC: January Review Online

To: Colin Cobb <cobmeister@zianet.com>
Subject: Re: DTSC: January Review Online
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 10:35:52 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Colin Cobb wrote:

> On 1/2/03 7:30 AM, "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu> wrote:
>
>  in an effort to be be "simple" the collective known as New England
> > Triumphs has no rules. We're not incorporated or anything like that, so
> > technically we don't need bylaws or officers. We do have officers, but
> > that's pretty much the extent of our organization.
> >
> > We have two rules:
> >
> > 1. There are no rules.
> >
> > 2. In case of conflict, refer to one.

> > Bob Lang              Room N42-140Q            |  This space for rent
> > Consultant            MIT unix-vms-help        |
> > Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |

> Hey Bob,

Hi.

> Interesting. How do you carry insurance for your events?

We take out some sort of policy each year, but we have surprisingly few
events. The annual cost is in the $300 range.

> If you don't carry
> insurance, how do you insulate your "members" (particularly "officers") from
> legal consequences of accidents and such?

Well, the answer is that we don't. Therefore each participant is
individually responsible for any legal stuff. I realize this is "heady
stuff", but it's worked for a long time (over 25 years).

Frankly, some years past, we looked into incorporating, and the annual
costs were fairly significant, so we punted.

I also think that we do have some sort of insurance on events because we
are a VTR chapter, but I'm not an insurance guy (other than I pay a lot to
keep four cars on the road each year).

:-)

> --Colin Cobb, Las Cruces, NM, USA

regards,