morris

Noise reduction in a Minor

To: morris@autox.team.net
Subject: Noise reduction in a Minor
From: Kevin Wayne Williams <kww@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 11:17:31 -0700
In Northern California, they use a fairly coarse pebbled asphalt that just
doesn't seem to get along with a Minor. When I go over 60MPH on that
surface, the noise in the truck cab is intolerable. On concrete, it's fine.
I have tried using Dynamat (the sound-proofing sheets that stereo shops
sell), and have coated the floor, interior firewall, the metal under the
scuttles, the underside of the bonnet, and the flat undersurface of the
dash. The dash undersurface did quite a bit, but not enough. It is apparent
that the road surface is making the wheels vibrate, which couples through
the steering box and column into the dash.
First question:
Has anyone ever encountered this before, and what did you do?
Second:
Has anyone ever seen a steering column drop or column drop for a Minor that
include a rubber vibration damper?
Three:
I have enough Dynamat left to do the doors or the roof, but not both. Any
guesses as to what will do the most good?

KWW