mini-baja

Re: brakes and helmets

To: susantoa@pdx.edu
Subject: Re: brakes and helmets
From: Sam Drake <drake@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 08:47:12 -0700 (MST)
On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 susantoa@pdx.edu wrote:

> None of the rules explicitely say "diagonal split"  But when the rules say "
> Mini Baja vehicles must be capable of braking in a straight line with at least
> two wheels locked."  That means it could be two in the front, two in the rear,
> two on the left, two on the right or one each on the front/rear (thus
> diagonal).
>
> I've never interpreted it as diagonal, but someone emailed the list earlier:
> "    I would like to add to this discussion by noting that the brake system
> has to be split either front/rear or diagonally.  Any other way will not get
> you through Tech.  I am not sure if this is written rule, but its kind of a
> common sense thing.
> "
>
> I'm guessing that while no sane Mini Baja designer would design their brake
> split to be diagonal, to get through tech when you have to have two tires
> locking, it could be split diagonally.  In any case, I don't think any of us
> are saying a diagonal split is the way to go.  :-)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andre S

It is much smarter to split the brakes front to rear.  This is what is
done on almost all race cars so that you can balance the ratio of braking
front to rear.  Most cars such as NASCAR have a knob that the driver can
adjust while driving to vary the braking ratio.  This is generally done by
having a balance bar between the two master cylinders with a pivot point
that moves so that one master cylinder see more force than the other.
Look at the Wilwood Catalog for an example of this.

http://www.wilwood.com/Centers/Catalog/pages/TECH.asp

and click on pedal assemblies

Sam Drake
University of Utah