mini-baja

brakes and helmets

To: susantoa@pdx.edu, mark_hagedorn@hotmail.com
Subject: brakes and helmets
From: "John G." <jjjsix6@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 01:19:35 -0800
I see nothing that would indicate a diagonal split of the brake lines from
any of the rules you just listed.  Right now the rules want two independent
brake circuits were all wheels will lock up.  For safety reasons, the front
wheels normally lock slightly before the rear wheels lock but there can be a
steering advantage for really tight turns if your rears lock up first.  Last
year at midwest the judge indicated that he wanted instant four wheel lock
up but I succesfuly explained to him why I didn't want that.  I'm pretty
sure the rules don't say anything about the order in which the wheels lock
up and I hope they never do.  Most people divide the brakes front to back so
they can easily balance the system for different situations but this almost
requires different size master cylinders and some engineering.  I've seen
people divide the brakes from left to right in order to use the brakes for
added steering, handy for east water maneuverability.  A left to right
divide is also nice since you normally use two master cylinders of the same
size but front to back bias is harder to adjust.  I have no clue why someone
would want to do a diagonal split.  With enough time and effort you can make
just about anything work but it doesn't mean you should.

Ebay has some really good deals on new helmets that meet the rules.

John
No longer on a team