Re: [Mgb-v8] A bit of a run

To: <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>, "Greg A Myer" <motorhead45@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgb-v8] A bit of a run
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 16:06:07 +0100
Ah, we climbed Snowdon (Wales, 2nd highest) a couple of years ago - that was a
story in itself.  The 3rd peak (that's next) is Scafell Pike in England, one
of many fell (hill) walks in the confusingly-named Lake District.  As a boy I
had heard someone describe the ridge-walk to Snowdon as pretty spectacular as
it falls away very steeply both sides.  In my innocence I imagined there was a
path that fell away both sides.  On the day our leader asked which route we
wanted to do so I said the ridgewalk, he raised an eyebrow, asked everybody
else who said they were happy to do it (also innocents).  From the Llanberis
Pass the route to the ridge starts off flat then gets ever steeper until it is
vertical, which was bad enough (for us once-per-year walkers).  But then on
the ridge there is no path, just the ridge!  The one side is sheer falling
away very steeply for hundreds of feet and proper mountaineers territory, the
other side does have small foot-holds but still falls almost as steeply.
Pretty scary, but we did it.

http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/ww06.htm

PaulH.