Re: Hard Starting

To: <Rick1huber@aol.com>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hard Starting
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 10:03:06 -0000
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Pumping the throttle *and* having an electrical choke could well be making
it too rich, and lots of black smoke out of the back when it finally *does*
start would tend to confirm that.  I've no experience of that carb or
electric chokes but even though I'm saying it could be over-choked I'd still
check the operation of the electric choke, and try starting without the
pumping.  Electric fuel pump or mechanical?  If mechanical then another
possibility is the carbs *are* emptying (see below) and it needs extra
cranking before enough is pumped in to start.

Paul W's comment about fuel loss from carbs:  Again no experience of the
carb mentioned but the twin SUs on my factory V8 will boil the fuel out of
the float chambers on switching off in very warm conditions, as evidenced by
lots of rapid clicking from the pump when switching back on again.  All the
carbs I am aware of have a vent to the atmosphere at the top of the float
chamber, often called the overflow (for when the float or valve fails), but
is actually essential for normal operation as without it the float would
never rise and close the valve, the pump just pumping fuel straight up the
jet and into the inlet manifold.

PaulH.