Re: Hard Starting

To: <Rick1huber@aol.com>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hard Starting
From: "Paul Willoughby" <paulwillou@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 16:18:07 -0800
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I had a similar problem on my '69 Mustang with mechanical fuel pump, big cam
and single plain manifold and Mopar electronic ignition in the distributor.
It was hard to start after sitting for several weeks in either warm or cold
weather.

I decided that the problem may have been fuel evaporating from the carb.  I
solved the problem by switching to an electric fuel pump.  Now I turn on the
key for a few seconds to let the carb bowls fill up, pump the pedal 5 times,
hit the starter and VROOM.

I'm not really sure that fuel can evaporate from a carb as the fuel bowls are
more or less sealed.  But the electric fuel pump sure fixed my problem
whatever it was.  Maybe the electric pump just increases fuel pressure enough
to be able to initially pump a little extra gas into the cylinders at
start-up.

I'm sure that there could be many other causes that other list members may
suggest - timing advanced to much is another possible cause.  Also, if your
electronic ignition in the distributor is Petronix, I see an occasional post
on the Triumph email list about those things failing or the pickups getting
out of adjustment.

Just a few ideas.

Good luck.

Paul W.