Hard Starting

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Hard Starting
From: Rick1huber@aol.com
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 13:25:26 EST
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Hi V8 listers,

A problem I've had for all 6 years with my car is now getting a little
worse.  It's very difficult to start when cold, particularly in the  winter.
Crank
for 15, 20 seconds, pumping gas pedal,  then a little  cough.  Same thing
again and a couple of little coughs.  Same thing  again, and it kicks over runs
very rough and puts out lots of black smoke and  then starts smoothing out at
the choke induced fast idle RPM.  Once the  engine is warm, starts easily
within a second or two with just a little  depression on the gas pedal.

Any ideas?

I'm running a 3.5 Rover engine with a Carter 500 carb with the electric
choke module, GM intake manifold, electronic ignition in the distributor, hot
cam, Isky 225 cam (I think that's the number, although Ted doesn't  recognize
it), standard MGB coil.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Rick