Swap the Diff?

To: mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Swap the Diff?
From: Rick1huber@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 01:02:40 EST
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Hi V8ers,

Thinking about changing my original 3.9 MGB rear end in my 75 V8 B.   I'm
thinking about getting the 3.07 crown wheel and pinion - listed for 375
British
pounds on the Mike Satur web site - that's almost $725 at today's  exchange
rate.  Talked to Ted Schumacher and he recommended a 3.08 Chevy  S-10 modified
to swap right into the B, but significantly more expensive.   When I put the
car together in the late 90's, Glen Towery recommended the  narrowed Ford rear
end, with a ratio of your choice.  Don't remember the  price, but also likely
higher.

Does anybody know where I could get a crown wheel and pinion from an MGC
differential?  Does anybody have a crown wheel and pinion they're willing  to
part with?  Has anybody done the swap themselves and can give me advice?  Is it
worth doing? Any testimonials on ease of swap, driveability, ruggedness,
maintenance for the three options?

Safety Faster - with a V8,

Rick