Fw: MGB V8 Conversion

To: <mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Fw: MGB V8 Conversion
From: "Trichels" <trichels@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 07:52:08 -0600
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Hi!

After many months of work to stuff a 300 Cubic Inch Buick V8 in a 1977 MGB
Roadster, I finally started the beast a few days ago and everything seems to
be O.K. except for cooling.  The engine seems to run a little hot or maybe I
just don't have enough air going through the radiator or something!  After
about ten minutes of initial run-in at 2000 RPM the temp crept up to 220 and
probably would have gone up more if I hadn't shut it off.  The radiator is a
Davis aluminum cross-flow (19 X 21), 160 degree Stant thermostat, 20 psi cap
and a small (13") mechanical flex-fan which is shrouded.  Timing is set at 34
degrees total advance at 3500 RPM.  RV8 headers through the fender well.  I'm
using an aftermarket mechanical temp gauge since I couldn't locate the wire to
the original gauge, so the accuracy is probably +/- ten degrees.

Has anyone out there had a similar experience with a new engine during initial
run-in?  Suggestions?

Thanks in advance for you time in replying,

Doug Trichel