Re: balancing problem

To: <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: balancing problem
From: "Carl Floyd" <cmfloyd@chartertn.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:42:52 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sounds like it's externally balanced to me. :)

Carl F.
TN (Chevy man)
---------------------------------
Balancing Differences
 The 1968-1979 302s (and all 289s/351Ws) used a 28 oz imbalance. The 1982-up
302s use a 50 oz imbalance. What this means is you cannot use a flywheel,
flexplate, or harmonic balancer from an old 302/289. Swapping the balancer
and flexplate/flywheel WILL NOT WORK because the crankshaft is a different
balance.
This is generally not a problem when using an automatic transmission, just
be sure that your flexplate will fit in the bellhousing of your
transmission. If it does not, you'll have to do some searching. This swap
has become more and more popular, and aftermarket swap flexplates are
available. Most machine shops can also balance your older flexplate/flywheel
to the 50 oz imbalance.
http://216.239.39.104/search?q=cache:MDniVEZr1XsJ:www.geocities.com/cping3/l
ate302.html+302+ford++balance&hl=en&ie=UTF-8