Re: balancing problem

To: CraigFaubel@aol.com
Subject: Re: balancing problem
From: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:07:37 -0500
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Craig,
While not certain, I believe a competent machine shop should be able to make the new Fluidamper balance the the same as the old damper w/out taking everything apart. When an externally balanced engine needs a new flywheel, they can remove it, and make the new flywheel match the old one, so I suspect that they can do the same for the front of the engine.
Am I smoking crack? Can anyone else verify this, or am I confabulating again? Bats!!!!!! With Pantyhose!!!!!!! (W/ apologies to Hunter S. Thompson)
JJJ
p.s. the 302 is externally balanced, right?

CraigFaubel@aol.com wrote:

Long ago I had the rotating assembly of my 302 engine balanced... crank, pistons, rods, OEM dampener and a flexplate for a C4 trans. I assembled the engine but havent run it yet. After that, I changed my mind and got a T5 and a new aluminum flywheel. I'm now buying a new Fluidampr harmonic dampener (the OEM rubber is over 30 yrs old), and I'm wondering: Do I need to take it all apart and have it all balanced again? I will disassemble and reassemble anyhow before firing this summer to be sure assembly lube is OK, but I dont want to waste $450 for balancing, etc. if I dont need that.
I asked on the list for a recommendation for a Clevaland Ohio shop who does good, accurate work but got no replies. I've found a place in our Yellow Pages who seems expensive and I dont know about their reputation. Can anyone help here?