Re: What should I do with these headers?

To: "Michael Hartwig" <mhartwig@midsouth.rr.com>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What should I do with these headers?
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 16:25:01 +0100
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Boy they look rough.  Those I have have flat flanges, no built-up area round
the port as yours have, but exhibited the similar gaps, and twisting of the
flanges to boot.  I took them to someone to flat and level them on a
belt-sander but although he managed to get them flat and three of them level
the right-hand one in each case was not up against the head.  Too big to
ignore, and too small to use double gaskets, so I split a metal-faced gasket
into two halves and used one of those.  The other problem is that the ports
in the header are not concentric with those in the head.  There are no
overlaps restricting the flow because the ports in the header are
significantly bigger than those in the head, but at its limit it does mean
the overlap on the gasket is almost non-existent in one or two places and
are *still* blowing.  The next job is to get them off yet again, find out
where the very small overlaps are, and build up some weld *inside* the
header port.

http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/enginetext.htm#exhaust