Re: idiot light

To: <CraigFaubel@aol.com>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: idiot light
From: "james" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 02:20:52 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I have something similar to the BMW system in my 85 Ram but I can't figure
out how it works from the diagram, and it doesn't seem to use a switch in
it.

I also wonder, could something be rigged up similar to the charge indicator
light in the alternator circuit?  Maybe if you went from B+ to the idiot
light to the ground side of the water pump?  would that turn on if the pump
died, and off while it is running?

I suspect that if you measured the voltage on the ground side of the pump
while it is under load, to account for voltage drop through the motor; and
use the proper resistor on the other side of the light to induce the same
voltage drop, you would get a zero potential difference across the light,
but if the pump dies or throws a belt the voltage on that side should change
and make the light glow.  If there isn't an EE here to verify, I'd just rig
one up and try it.

James Nazarian
71 B tourer
71 BGT V8