Re: idiot light

To: CraigFaubel@aol.com, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: idiot light
From: DMNaskale@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 22:16:30 EST
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
In my 88 BMW 535i there is a circuit that monitors the lights, I looked at
the guts of one of the modules one time and it looked like they created a
relay like device by wrapping the heavy gauge wire carrying the load for the
lights around a glass tube magnetic reed switch, the current in the load wire
would create enough of a magnetic field to activate the reed switch if the
lights are all working, if any burn out the draw drops out of the range of
activation for the switch. Some experimentation along those lines could
create something workable, simple and cheap, too.

Daryl