RE: more progress

To: "'Larry Hoy'" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>, "'v8'" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: more progress
From: "Jim Stuart" <vze3swyy@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 19:26:02 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I would add to Larry's comment that oil temp is critical. Water temp may be
OK, but high oil temps can ruin a bearing due to a thinned oil film, & this
is more expensive than coolant spraying over the engine compartment. I think
all cars driven in a "spirited" fashion deserve an oil temp gauge.

Water temps are somewhat relevant to a particular engine design. Many new
Corvettes lack a temp gauge since they run at around 270` & most owners
would freak at knowing this. While this engine is designed to run under
these conditions, your STOCK 4 cyl MGB engine is not, & your V8 is not
designed for this either. I would use the engine mfgr's original specs as a
good guide to correct operating temps, regardless of the body the engine is
in. Later model engines designed to run low emissions usually run hotter, to
run cleaner, than older engines with little or no smog equipment.
Competition engines are a whole 'nother story, & your engine builder is the
only authority.

Jim Stuart

Reply to <jimbb88@usa.com>