Re: A real automotive puzzler

To: "David Kernberger" <dkern@napanet.net>
Subject: Re: A real automotive puzzler
From: "Allen Wulf" <wulfmgbv8@attbi.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 19:59:01 -0600
Cc: "MGB-V8 List" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>, <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
David,
Thanks for reminding me.  In addition to a manifold that wasn't sealing
properly,  another major problem was a hidden crack in the base of  my
Carter 400 AFB.  Ever since I bought that particular Carb, it has leaked
gasoline on the intake manifold.  I tried everything from replacing needle
and seats to lowering the float level to putting on a pressure regulator.
In fact most people that I discussed this problem with  thought it had to
either be a defective needle and seat or a incorrectly set float level.
Turns out that when the carburetor cools the hidden crack opens enough to
slowly leak fuel out of the left float bowl.  When the whole thing warms up
the crack closes and it doesn't leak.  When I  turned the ignition switch on
with the engine cold  fuel would leak out even with a electric fuel pump
rated at 30 GPH and 2.5 to 4.5 pounds of pressure.  When I couldn't get it
to quit leaking, I put a switch in the wire to the fuel pump so I could shut
it off and burn up most of the gas in the carburator so I wouldn't have to
put up with the odor of raw gasoline in the garage.  The guys at the
Carburator Shop in Englewood, Colorado finally figured it out.  When the
carburator was on the work bench they poured gas in the left foat bowl and
it gradually leaked out around the primary shaft onto the work bench.  When
they put it on the car and ran it long enough to warm up a bit the leak
stopped and didn't start again until the engine cooled. (On start up the
fuel pump would replace the leaking fuel fast enough for the car to start
and run.)  Fortunately, I have another Carter 400 AFB that doesn't leak and
has a choke that works so the car starts and runs a lot better.  If  I had
not had another Carter 400, which I planned to use on another V8 conversion,
I would have had to buy a new Edlebrock 500, which would have cost a  less
than my original Carter 400.  The guys at the shop thought it better to use
a Carter 400 rather than a 500 CFM Edlebrock, since we live at 5,280 feet
and often travel to higher elevations. My carburator problem is something
that they had never encountered before.  This probably sounds like a pretty
tall tale. Has anyone else had this same problem?

 I'm pleased that the car is starting and running better and I'm enjoying
driving it again.  I've fixed the exhaust problem.  Now if I could just
figure out where the rattling noise in the dash is coming from..............

Al Wulf